Sunday 2 July 2017

July 2nd, 2017 - Photo 183 of 365

Henley Stewards' Enclosure Member Badges
I have been fortunate to have been a member of the Henley Stewards' Enclosure for the last three years. I know how happy the old man would be about this. He rowed at the regatta in 1950s for Maidenhead Rowing Club, and went to the regatta every year until he passed away in 2009. He never had need of becoming a member, as he knew so many people, so he never had a problem getting tickets. I got on the waiting list after his death, and luck was on my side in getting the membership through sooner than expected, as it is usually a 10 year wait. This meant I was able to give Mum tickets in 2015, which was something that meant a lot to me, especially as last year she was in hospital with her health sadly in decline from the wretched bowel cancer. I know that the event is not for everyone, and does have its elitist social reputation. However there are a lot of "normal" people there too, and with the dad's rowing connection it's an event that will always hold a special place in my heart... I am sure the folks are looking down and raising a glass today. Mum and Dad have not been far from my thoughts these last five days, but in a lovely nostalgic way with just a hint of sadness 😍

No comments:

Post a Comment