Wednesday 9 August 2017

August 9th, 2017 - Photo 221 of 365

Meeting the Duke of Edinburgh
This photo was taken back in 1978 when a 12 year old me was presented with a cup final losers medal by Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. I was playing for Maidenhead Town Youth Under 12s against Chalvey at Stag Meadow, the home ground of Windsor & Eton FC. It was a wet and miserable evening, and unfortunately we were well beaten on the night, 3-0 I think. I didn't have one of my better games, and played just the first half coming off at half time. However, I enjoyed six happy seasons playing for the club. In my 51 years this has been the only occasion when I have met any member of the Royal Family, and I suspect it is highly unlikely to happen again. Look how filthy my hands were! 😊

There are always questions you want to ask your parents when they are no longer here. I know Dad got this photo blown up, which is this copy I now have at home, but I can't remember if he took the photo as well. I think he might have done, especially as half of the Duke's head is missing. The folks were always quite expert at doing this when taking photos! 😆

No comments:

Post a Comment